Entertainment

Michael Fassbender rules out becoming next James Bond

Latest Update: November 2, 2016 | 214 Views
michael-fassbender

LOS ANGELES: Hollywood star Michael Fassbender has ruled himself out of becoming the next James Bond suggesting a woman should play 007.

The X-Men star had been tipped as a favourite to take over from Daniel Craig, but says the franchise is in need of a new spin.

“As an acting role, I think Daniel has done such a cracking job in this age group,” the 39-year old star said.

Asked if he would consider succeeding Craig and revamping the franchise, Fassbender simply said “to be honest, no.”

The German-Irish star said a younger actor could take on the role, suggesting former Skins star Jack O’Connell could take the character back to his roots.

Fassbender said he “grew up” with Bond, and confessed he’d given the issue a lot of thought.

“What about we start the film back in Sandhurst, Army training rather than on a yacht, or he’s in the Middle East on an op and gets thrown in the brig for insubordination?” he said.

“He’s going to get court-martialled. I have thought about it a lot.”

He went on to suggest maybe an American should play the classic British spy.

“Or even better, how about Jane Bond? A woman.” he said.

X-Files star Gillian Anderson surprised fans when she tweeted a mock-up poster of herself as 007, hinting she would accept the role of Jane Bond if offered.

A rumoured shortlist for the next James Bond became an online trend after Craig said in an interview he would rather “slash his wrists” than do another film.

Reports the Skyfall actor was then offered £120 million for a fifth instalment have been denied by Sony.

Luther star Idris Elba, Tom Hiddleston, Damian Lewis and Tom Hardy have all been tipped for the role.

However, Fassbender said he is certain the next Bond will be an outsider.

“One thing is for sure, it won’t be anyone on the bookies’ lists,” he said. “It never is.”