News Pakistan

Jacobabad blast death toll reaches to 29

Latest Update: October 24, 2015 | 89 Views

JACOBABAD: Two more people injured in a Jacobabad Muharram procession blast breathed their last in hospital, mounting the death toll to 29 on Saturday.

Yesterday, a suicide bomber blew himself up in a Muharram procession on Quetta road in Jacobabad.

DIG Larkana said that the preliminary investigation suggested explosion was caused by a suicide bomber.

The police said the blast took place in Lashari Muhalla area of Jacobabad where a large number of people were taking out a procession to commemorate martyrdom of Hazrat Imam Hussain (R.A).

Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, who is on an official visit to US, has condemned the blast, expressing solidarity with those who lost their loved ones.

Sindh Chief Minister Qaim Ali Shah has vowed to bring the perpetrators of the blast to book. Sindh Governor Ishratul Ibad has sought a report into the attack from Inspector General Sindh Police.

The blast is the third in a series of attacks of which two occurred in Balochistan since the beginning of Muharram.

On Thursday, a suicide bomber blew himself up in an Imambargah in Bolan area of the province, killing at least 10 people.

A blast targeting a passenger bus in Quetta had killed at least a dozen people last week.

Authorities have taken strict security measures on day of Ashura across the country, suspending mobile phone services in many cities and deploying heavy contingent of police and paramilitary troops.


Top of the Hour