KARACHI: A Bachelor of Dental Surgery student passed away in the wee hours of Tuesday after having self-immolated over the university’s decision to not let him take an exam because of his late arrival.
Abdul Basit was a final year student at a private university. He reached the exam centre late after his car broke down, his family said.
Disheartened, he doused himself with petrol and set himself on fire.
He was rushed to the Civil Hospital with 95 percent burns, doctors said.
Sindh Governor Ishrat ul Ebad took notice of the incident and demanded a report of the incident from the vice chancellor of the private university.