SC verdict shows PM Nawaz’s consent for Musharraf’s ECL omission

Latest Update: March 16, 2016 | 405 Views

ISLAMABAD: Opposition Leader in the National Assembly (NA) Khursheed Shah has said that it is clear after Supreme Court’s (SC) order that Prime Minister (PM) Nawaz Sharif is willing to allow former president Pervez Musharraf to travel abroad.

The Opposition Leader commented in the matter after Supreme Court upheld Sindh High Court’s (SHC) order to omit Musharraf’s name from Exit Control List (ECL).

Shah said that the government dropped Musharraf’s issue in judiciary’s lap to get rid of it.

What political parties could do when the victim of the former dictator, Nawaz Sharif is himself maintaining silence, he added. It is clear from the verdict of Supreme Court that the government is willing too.

The government was in pressure since the beginning in Musharraf’s issue, he added.

Earlier today, Supreme Court upheld Sindh High Court’s verdict of omitting former president’s name from the ECL, lifting condition on his foreign visits.

In a short verdict, Chief Justice Anwar Zaheer Jamali announced that the government’s appeal had been disposed off. But he said that the government or a separate court could technically pass a fresh travel ban if they provided valid reasons.

Know more: Supreme Court orders removal of Musharraf s name from ECL

Faisal Hussain, one of Musharraf’s lawyers, welcomed the verdict. “He can leave any time any time now — there is no impediment or hurdle,” he said.

He said Musharraf needs to go abroad for urgent spinal treatment not available in Pakistan.


Top of the Hour