KARACHI: Charminar Chowrangi located in Karachi’s Bahadurabad neighbourhhod has made it to the top 12 roundabouts in the world, a list compiled by the UK-based ‘Roundabout Appreciation Society’.
The society unveiled its highly anticipated annual list of the world’s most beautiful roundabouts on Friday, British media reported.
The roundabout is known for its beautiful replica of famous Charminar Mosque of Hyderabad, India. The mosque is one of the most recognised monuments of India.
Charminar roundabout in Karachi is surrounded by shops and roadside eateries and attracts people because of its stunning design and lights.
Top 12 roundabouts of 2015
1. Railway Roundabout in Hobart, Tasmania, Australia – features a colour-changing space-age fountain.
2. Morbier giant cheese and grandfather clock roundabout in France.
3. Duck pond roundabout in Otford, Kent, UK – a roundabout with a listed duck pond in the centre. This residence is known as Duckingham Palace.
4. Chavez roundabout in Managua, Venzuela – image of former president Hugo Rafael Chavez and curly whirly trees.
5. Angel of Independence roundabout in Mexico City – has an 118ft victory column in the centre.
6. Mosque roundabout in Karachi, Pakistan – features a replica mosque in the middle.
7. Dancing dolphin roundabout in Pataya, Thailand – dolphins dance in the fountain and red and green flowers encircle the roundabout.
8. Sculpture roundabout in Switzerland – an entwined sculpture on a grassy mound in the mountains.
9. Flower and fountain roundabout in Indiana, USA – a double kerber roundabout with ornate fountain and flowers.
10. Swimming dolphins in Algarve, Portugal.
11. Sekigata roundabout in Shizuoka, Japan – one of the few in the country.
12. Pearl roundabout in Manama, Bahrain – the pearl structure consists of six supports holding a giant pearl.