Special

Fart sparks fire in Tokyo hospital during surgery

Latest Update: November 1, 2016 | 108 Views
fart

A woman’s fart during an operation in a Japanese hospital caused a fire in which she suffered gruesome burns.

The fire happened at the Tokyo Medical University Hospital in April, but details have only been released following an inquiry by medical experts.

The patient, aged in her 30s, was undergoing a surgical procedure which involved applying a laser to her cervix, reports Metro.co.uk.

But when the woman passed wind the gas is believed to have ignited the laser beam, resulting in burns to much of her waist and legs.

The findings of an expert committee into the incident stated no flammable materials were in the operating theatre during the surgery.

“When the patient’s intestinal gas leaked into the space of the operation (room), it ignited with the irradiation of the laser, and the burning spread, eventually reaching the surgical drape and causing the fire,” the committee said in its report.

Investigators also found the equipment in the operating theatre was functioning properly.