NEW DELHI: The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has proposed Pakistan to play a limited-over series in India, comprising five one-day and two Twenty20 internationals, according to a report published on the Indian news website on Tuesday.
“We want cricketing ties to happen, we don’t want politics to hamper cricket. We will be going with a few proposals: one, where we can have five ODIs and two T20s.
“In the second proposal, we can have three ODIs and two T20s. All these games will be played in those parts of the country where we feel there will be no disturbance from political parties,” a top BCCI official was quoted by the website.
According to the Indian website, top BCCI officials have already started talks with the government and another series of discussions are expected to take place after Diwali.
BCCI secretary Anurag Thakur will be approaching the Union Home Ministry to get confirmation for the series, the website said.
Earlier, the BCCI in a letter to the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) on Oct 29 expressed regret over the cancellation of talks between Shaharyar Khan and Shashank Manohar.
The BCCI, in its letter, said that they have approached the Indian government for the approval of a bilateral series between the two traditional rivals.
Shaharyar Khan, along with a three-member PCB delegation, visited India to discuss with BCCI president Shashank Manohar to take a final decision whether India was ready to play the series as per the MoU signed last year.
However, members of Indian extremist party Shiv Sena party sabotaged the scheduled meeting at Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai, when around 40 to 50 individuals stormed the venue of the meeting prior to its start.
The two countries have not played a full series against each other since 2007, though Pakistan toured India for a short series in December 2012.
The series is one of six agreed between the PCB and BCCI under a Memorandum of Understanding signed last year when PM Manmohan Singh-led government gave its go-ahead for the series.
Later the BCCI said it will have to get permission from their new Modi-led government for the said series.
But the current strained political situation with regular ceasefire violations from both sides and cancellation of talks between the security advisers of the two countries in August leaves the series in serious doubt.