Cook warns Amir to expect hostile reaction at Lord’s

Latest Update: July 4, 2016 | 262 Views

England Test captain Alastair Cook has warned left-arm pacer Muhammad Amir to expect a hostile reception from fans when he takes to the pitch at Lord’s for the first Test on July 14.

Amir is set to make his Test comeback at the venue where his bowling of deliberate no-balls in 2010 earned him a five-year ban after he pleaded guilty to spot-fixing.

Cook feels the 24-year-old will have to deal with the crowd voicing their opinions when play gets under way next week.

“I’m sure there will be a reaction and that is right,” he said.

“That is part and parcel, and when you do something like that there are more consequences than just the punishment. That is something for him to cope with, whatever comes his way,” he added.

Cook, who has time and again called for ‘spot-fixers’ to be slapped with lifelong bans, believes it is only right that Amir is allowed a chance to rebuild his Test career. “It was very different then – match-fixers didn’t get caught,” he said.

“Amir’s case was the first big one in England, we had others, but this was the first in the modern era. Whether I agreed or disagreed with the punishment, he got it, served his time and he is absolutely right to come back.”

“But if I was in charge and if you got caught once, that would be it – one strike and you’re out.”

Last month, Amir said he was looking forward for the upcoming series against England as he wants his name on Lord’s honour board again.


Top of the Hour