ZURICH: FIFA reeled from fresh scandal on Thursday as Secretary General Jerome Valcke was dramatically suspended over allegations of involvement in a ticketing scam and placed under investigation.
Valcke, the right-hand man of outgoing FIFA President Sepp Blatter, was immediately relieved of his duties as the latest wave of sleaze crashed into world football’s governing body.
Switzerland, meanwhile, ruled on Thursday that a former FIFA vice-president should be extradited to the US in a corruption probe, the first suspect facing a forced transfer over the graft allegations that have shaken world football.
Valcke “has been put on leave and released from his duties effective immediately until further notice”, said a FIFA statement.
“Further, FIFA has been made aware of a series of allegations involving the secretary general and has requested a formal investigation by the FIFA Ethics Committee.”
The 54-year-old French official had already been forced to deny involvement in a $10 million payment to South Africa in the wake of corruption allegations that forced Blatter’s resignation earlier this year.
The latest claims against Valcke related to accusations of involvement in a scam to sell World Cup tickets at vastly inflated prices and take a slice of the profits.
The claims were made by Benny Alon, an American-Israeli consultant at a company which had a deal with FIFA to sell tickets at the 2014 World Cup. The contract was subsequently cancelled.
In a strongly-worded statement issued by Valcke’s US-based attorney, the official decried the allegations as false.
“Jerome Valcke unequivocally denies the fabricated and outrageous accusations by Benny Alon of alleged wrongdoing in connection with the sale of World Cup tickets,” the statement from New York attorney Barry Berke said.
The statement said Valcke “never received or agreed to accept any money or anything else of value from Mr Alon”.
All dealings between Valcke and Alon’s company had been cleared by FIFA’s legal department, the statement added.
FIFA have been embroiled in a major corruption scandal since the arrest of seven of its officials attending a FIFA congress in May in Zurich to elect a new president.
They are among 14 people charged by US authorities over more than $150 million in bribes given for television and marketing deals.
Despite the arrests, the election went ahead with Blatter winning a fifth mandate although the 79-year-old then announced he would be standing down with a new election scheduled for February.
In the latest step in the probe, Switzerland ruled that former FIFA vice-president Eugenio Figueredo should be extradited to the United States.
Figueredo, a Uruguayan national, has been charged by the US justice department with using his influence to solicit millions of dollars in bribes from sports marketing firms. He was among the seven FIFA officials arrested in May.
One of those arrested, Jeffrey Webb of the Cayman Islands, agreed to extradition and was sent to the US in July, but the remaining six had challenged a transfer to American courts.
Valcke came under scrutiny in recent months over what he knew about a $10 million payment from the South African FA to an account controlled by Jack Warner, the then North and Central American (CONCACAF) football chief, through FIFA in 2008.
US investigators believe the money was a bribe in return for backing South Africa getting the 2010 World Cup.
FIFA has insisted it only acted as an intermediary between South Africa and former FIFA vice-president Warner, who quit world football’s governing body and his other functions in 2011 over other corruption allegations.
Valcke has found himself under scrutiny during his FIFA career.
In 2006 he was forced to step down as the football body’s director of marketing after a New York court judged he had lied by negotiating FIFA deals with Visa in breach of existing contracts with Mastercard.
FIFA was later fined $60 million over the case, but Valcke re-emerged unscathed when he was installed as secretary general in June 2007.