Indo-Pak cricket series appears difficult: BCCI secretary

Latest Update: December 20, 2015 | 236 Views

BCCI secretary Anurag Thakur said on Saturday that the Pakistan-India series “appears difficult” as the Indian team will soon leave for a limited-overs tour of Australia which begins on January 12.

“It’s the 19th already and even if a decision comes in the next week, it might not be possible to host a series on such short notice,” Thakur said at a press conference in Delhi, where the ODI and T20 squads for the tour of Australia were announced.

However, he maintained that the decision was up to Pakistan as they are the hosts of the series as per the MoU signed between the BCCI and PCB.

“This is not a decision for us to make. It is for Pakistan to make should the Indian government grant permission. But, given the situation today, it appears difficult,” Thakur added.

Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) chairman Shaharyar Khan said last week that they were still waiting for a reply from the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) on the December series.

“I have asked [England and Wales Cricket Board president] Giles Clarke to bring an answer from India. He is going to call me in the evening to tell me the final reply from the Indians. Then we will decide what to do,” said Shaharyar, while addressing the media outside the PCB headquarters in Lahore.

The Indian Premier League (IPL) chairman Rajeev Shukla also expressed his concern last week over government’s delayed reply on the bilateral series against Pakistan.

“It has been around 15-20 days since the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) sent a letter to the External Affair Ministry,” said Shukla while talking to the Indian media.

“The government should reply in yes or no now. There is no time left. Indian cricketers will not be available after December 30 as they will be touring Australia from January 5.


Top of the Hour