Kyrgios pulls out of Rio 2016 after row with Australian Olympic Committee

Latest Update: June 3, 2016 | 84 Views

Nick Kyrgios has pulled out of Rio 2016, accusing the Australian Olympic Committee (AOC) of “unfair and unjust treatment” and “unwarranted attacks”.

Kyrgios, 21, joins compatriot Bernard Tomic in withdrawing from the Games.

AOC chef de mission Kitty Chiller had said the pair were “on watch” because of their behaviour.

The world number 19 said he had pulled out with “a heavy heart” as the “AOC has chosen to publicly and privately disparage me”.

In a statement on his official website, he added: “AOC’s unfair and unjust treatment of me over the last four weeks, as well as the organisation’s crystal clear position on whether they want me to be a part of the Australian Olympic team, has solidified my final decision.”

Kyrgios received a code violation for shouting at a ball boy and was fined for an audible obscenity during his third-round defeat by Richard Gasquet at the French Open.

He was given a suspended 28-day ban and fined by the Association of Tennis Professionals last year for making lewd remarks about Stan Wawrinka’s girlfriend during a match.

Tennis Australia president Steve Healy said: “We understand Nick’s decision and totally support him and his right to make it. But we are very disappointed that he has been put in this position.”

In a statement on the AOC’s official website, Chiller said: “At this point, Nick Kyrgios, or any other tennis athlete, has not been nominated for selection on the Australian Olympic team.

“In regard to selection every athlete in contention is treated equally and fairly.”


Top of the Hour