Mayweather hints at chance of ring return

Latest Update: May 1, 2016 | 209 Views

WASHINGTON DC: Floyd Mayweather teasingly hinted on Saturday that he might be tempted to return to the ring, but said only a “nine-figure” payday could lure him out of retirement.

The 39-year-old, who walked away from boxing eight months ago with a perfect 49-0 record, was on hand as a promoter of Badou Jack’s majority draw with Lucian Bute in a super middleweight world title fight at the DC Armory in Washington.

He told Showtime television interviewer Jim Gray that he’d had talks with CBS and Showtime, and while he said he’s happy in retirement he also didn’t entirely close the door on a return to the ring.

Would that be for the money or a chance to take his record to a round 50-0, Gray asked.

“Both,” Mayweather said.

“Yes, I’m happy to be where I’m at,” Mayweather said.

“Everyone is asking me ‘is Floyd Mayweather coming back?’ Right now, I’m happy on this side, but I’ve been talking with CBS and Showtime and you never know. But for now, I’m happy on this side.”

“If I came back, of course, it would have to be a nine-figure payday and probably a championship fight,” he said.

Gray didn’t ask about a possible rematch with Manny Pacquiao, whom Mayweather beat last year in the most lucrative bout in boxing history.

He walked away after out-pointing Andre Berto in September, and until Saturday had given no indication that he might change his mind.

Pacquiao won the fight billed as his farewell, beating Timothy Bradley in Las Vegas earlier this month before turning his attention to his race to gain a seat in the Philippines Senate.

“I’m now a full-time politician,” Pacquiao said this week.



Top of the Hour