FAISALABAD: Fast bowler Mohammad Amir said on Tuesday he was focused on joining Pakistan’s national side for next year’s World Twenty20 tournament after impressive bowling in a domestic match held on Monday.
The 23-year-old pacer, who was banned along with the then Test captain Salman Butt and pace partner Mohammad Asif over a spot-fixing case in England in 2010, has been allowed to play in domestic matches before his five-year ban ends on September 2, 2015.
On Monday, the left-armer picked up a wicket for the Rawalpindi Rams in a domestic Twenty20 match, with his first legitimate ball after earlier delivering a wide.
“I enjoyed bowling in the match and picking up a wicket so early was exciting,” Amir said on Tuesday.
“My focus is on returning for Pakistan in the World Twenty20 in India next year.”
Amir took 22 wickets in last month’s Patron’s Trophy, which is one level below domestic first-class cricket.
It marked an impressive return since the International Cricket Council (ICC) relaxed his five-year ban in January this year.
The decision came after the Pakistan Cricket Board requested the ICC allow him to play domestic cricket a few months before his ban officially expires in September.
At that point, the PCB will decide on his comeback to the national team.
At the time of his ban, Amir was one of the best bowlers in international cricket, having taken 51 wickets in Tests, 25 in one-day internationals and 23 in Twenty20 matches.