LONDON: Rafael Nadal’s hopes of winning a third Wimbledon title are in doubt after he withdrew from the key warm-up event Queen’s on Wednesday due to the wrist injury that brought to a halt his French Open campaign.
The Spaniard — whose win in 2008 at Queen’s was sandwiched by victory in the French Open and then Wimbledon — had said when he withdrew from the French Open that further playing risked him breaking his left wrist.
The Queen’s tournament begins on June 13th.
“I am very sad that my wrist injury means that I cannot play at The Queen’s Club this year,” Nadal, who turns 30 on Friday, told the tournament website.
“It is a tournament and a club that I love, I enjoy playing in front of the British people, and I was looking forward to trying to win the title for a second time,” added the 14-time Grand Slam champion.
Missing Queen’s means Nadal, who won Wimbledon in 2008 and 2010, has almost four weeks for his injury to heal with the third Grand Slam tournament of the year beginning on June 27th.
Nadal, who had been bidding for a 10th French Open title, has been plagued by injuries throughout his career, affecting his knees and wrist.
A right wrist injury forced him to skip the 2014 US Open.
Despite his latest setback, the charismatic Spaniard said he will keep playing.
“This is a tough moment and the toughest press conference I have ever had to give but it’s not the end,” he said on quitting the French Open last Friday.