News Sports

Zimbabwe indecisive about Pakistan tour

Latest Update: May 15, 2015 | 157 Views

Confusion reigned supreme in Zimbabwe Cricket on Thursday as the country’s cricket board first announced its decision to suspend the coming tour of Pakistan and then minutes later said that the discussion are still ongoing.

The first release issued by Zimbabwe said that it has taken the decision to pull out on the advice of the country’s sports and recreation committee that said it would “not be safe” for the team to travel to the South Asian country at this time.

However, the decision was soon pushed into the waiting area when another press release 15 minutes later said discussions are ongoing between the two boards.

Zimbabwe confusion over the tour is based on the deadly terrorist attack in Karachi on Wednesday. At least 43 people were killed and 13 others were wounded on Wednesday when terrorists opened fire on a bus carrying members of the Ismaili community.

Zimbabwe were scheduled for a 10-day tour of Pakistan starting May 22, for which the African nation had already announced its squad.

Should they go ahead with the tour, Zimbabwe would be the first Test-playing nation to tour Pakistan since terror attacks on the Sri Lankan team in March 2009 in which six Pakistani policemen and two civilians were killed and six members of the Sri Lankan team were injured.

Earlier, in an exclusive interview Kiran More had said that Pakistan can’t be considered safe and Zimbabwe should cancel their tour.

“[Security] Conditions are not good in Pakistan. Zimbabwe cricket should cancel the tour,” More had said. “It is the matter of safety of players. I think, they will cancel the tour due to [terror] attacks. I don’t see any international cricket series being hosted by Pakistan in the coming future.”

The Indian government on Wednesday also gave a green signal to resumption of bilateral cricket ties with Pakistan.

[dmvideo id=”x2q6yu1″ media_url=”″ width=”480″ height=”280″]


Top of the Hour