News World

10 civilians killed in airstrike as fighting starts in central Yemen

Latest Update: September 14, 2015 | 90 Views

SANAA: 10 people were killed in a Saudi-led coalition airstrike on a suburb in the Yemeni capital Sanaa on Monday, medical sources and residents said.

The strike targeted a government building in the Waalan area in the south of Sanaa, sources said. Seven of those killed were from the same family.

Earlier on Sunday, five Saudi soldiers were killed near the border with Yemen in the southern province of Najran, the Saudi Press Agency reported, while a Saudi-led military coalition began an offensive to drive Houthi militia forces out of Yemen’s energy-rich Marib province.

Meanwhile, one Emirati serviceman was killed in the ground offensive in Marib, the United Arab Emirates state news agency WAM said late on Sunday.

Also on Sunday, Yemen’s exiled government pulled out of UN-mediated peace talks with the Houthis, casting doubt on the future of the talks that were meant to end the nearly six-month-old war.

The Saudi coalition began airstrikes against the Houthis and their allies, forces loyal to former president Ali Abdullah Saleh, in late March after they pushed from their northern stronghold towards the southern port of Aden.

The coalition, which says the Houthis are allied with Iran, has stepped up airstrikes in the capital, Sanaa, and other Houthi-held areas since a Houthi missile killed more than 60 Gulf Arab troops stationed in Marib earlier in September.

The Houthis seized the Yemeni capital Sanaa last September and eventually forced President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi and his administration to flee to Saudi Arabia.



Top of the Hour