News World

Eight die in Nigeria from toxic fumes inhalation

Latest Update: July 26, 2015 | 122 Views

Kano: Eight people died from inhaling toxic fumes on Saturday and some 100 others were hospitalised after an accidental blast hit a water treatment plant near Jos in central Nigeria, local officials said.

A barrel of chlorine exploded in the Dogon Karfe plant in the south of Jos, releasing toxic chlorine vapour, regional spokesman Samuel Emmanuel Nanle said in a statement.

Governor Simon Lalong expressed his sympathy with the families of the eight victims, and wished the 101 survivors who were being treated in hospital a speedy recovery, the statement added.

The circumstances of the blast remain unclear though measures have been taken to “guard against future reoccurrence” of the incident, Nanle said.

The accident has not affected the water supply in the area, the statement said, adding that water from the mains remained “safe for human consumption”.


Tehreek e Ehtesaab


Top of the Hour