News World

Hosni Mubarak to stand re-trial over 2011 killing of protesters

Latest Update: June 4, 2015 | 111 Views

CAIRO: Egypt’s high court said on Thursday former president Hosni Mubarak would be retried in the case of the 2011 killing of protesters.

The judge accepted the public prosecution’s appeal against an earlier court ruling that dropped the case against Mubarak.

The judge said the retrial would begin on Nov 5.

Earlier in Novmber 2014, an Egyptian court has dismissed criminal charges against former president Hosni Mubarak in connection with the killing of protesters in the 2011 uprising that ended his nearly three-decade reign.

Mubarak, 86, was also acquitted of corruption charges that he faced along with his sons Alaa and Gamal.

Mubarak was convicted and sentenced to life in prison in 2012, but the verdict was overturned on appeal.



Top of the Hour