Iran’s foreign minister defends ballistic missile test

Latest Update: March 14, 2016 | 161 Views

WELLINGTON: Iran’s foreign minister has defended the nation’s right to use ballistic missiles following a test last week, but offered no explanation for anti-Israeli messages reportedly written on them.

Speaking Monday in New Zealand, Mohammad Javad Zarif said Iran has always reserved the right to defend itself using conventional weapons, and that “anybody who is crazy enough to attack us, we will attack back”.

Last Wednesday’s missile test was aimed at demonstrating Iran will push ahead with its ballistic program after scaling backing its nuclear program under the deal reached last year with the United States and other world powers.

Iran’s Fars news agency reported that the missiles had the phrase “Israel must be wiped out” written on them. Zarif said he hadn’t yet returned to Iran to check out those reports.



Top of the Hour