RIYADH: Rockets fired by Yemeni rebels into a Saudi border city on Saturday killed a Saudi civilian and wounded six others including a Pakistani man, the Saudi civil defence agency said.
Quoted by Al-Ekhbariya state television, the agency the five other wounded in the city of Najran were all Yemeni citizens.
Video footage posted on social networks showed two blazing buildings in the city center.
Cross-border attacks into Saudi Arabia have increased since a Saudi-led Arab coalition this month stepped up air strikes on insurgent targets inside Yemen in an attempt to shore up the beleaguered government.
On Friday, five foreign residents of Najran were wounded in a rocket strike just west of the city.
Seven civilians were killed on Tuesday when the city centre was shelled, with three victims said to be expats.
Tuesday’s toll was the highest reported number of civilian casualties in Saudi Arabia for a single day since the Arab coalition intervened in Yemen in March last year against the Iran-backed Huthi rebels.
More than 100 civilians and soldiers have been killed in southern Saudi Arabia by retaliatory rocket strikes or skirmishes since the coalition began operations in support of President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi’s government.
Meanwhile, the rebel-controlled Saba news agency reported a wave of coalition raids inside Yemen on Saturday, including one that killed three civilians near the Huthi-held capital Sanaa.
Despite the reported attacks, Saba said that “thousands” of people demonstrated in Sanaa in support of the rebels and their allies, forces loyal to ousted president Ali Abdullah Saleh.