‘Terror’ probe opened over attack on Belgian police: PM

Latest Update: August 7, 2016 | 126 Views

BRUSSELS: Belgium’s prime minister announced Sunday a ‘terror’ probe into a machete attack that wounded two policewomen, in what appeared to be the latest in a string of extremist attacks in Europe.

“We have been informed by federal prosecutors that an investigation has started for attempted terrorist murder… given certain elements (in the case),” Charles Michel told reporters.

The prime minister was referring to the attacker’s cry of “Allahu Akbar” (God is greatest) during the assault in front of a police station.

Earlier, Belgian police arrested two men “suspected of planning an attack” in Belgium following raids in July ordered by an anti-terror judge, federal prosecutors said.

Belgium has remained on high alert following deadly March bombings claimed by the Islamic State group in Brussels and a wave of deadly attacks in the last month in France and Germany, some of them claimed by Islamic State.



Top of the Hour