LONDON: British detectives have charged a man with attempted murder after a knife attack at an east London metro station on Saturday night which was described by police as a terrorist incident.
Police said 29-year-old Muhaydin Mire of east London would appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court later on Monday.
One man suffered serious but not life-threatening injuries in the attack at Leytonstone underground station while a second person suffered minor injuries.
Eyewitnesses said the attacker had reportedly shouted out “This is for Syria!”
Britain is on its second-highest security alert level of “severe”, meaning a militant attack is considered highly likely, though not imminent, mainly because of the threat posed by Islamic State militants in Syria and Iraq.
Last week, British war planes joined air strikes for the first time against IS fighters in Syria.