News World

Worldwide condemnations on IS attack on Saudi Shiite mosque

Latest Update: May 23, 2015 | 127 Views

DUBAI: World states have strongly condemned the recent bomb attack at a Shia mosque in Saudi Arabia’s Eastern Province, which claimed the lives of 30 people and left several more injured.

Pakistani Ministry of Foreign Affairs, in a statement released on Friday, expressed deep sorrow over the tragic event, and offered Islamabad’s deepest sympathy to the families of all the victims.

The statement described the “deliberate” assault against innocent civilians as “cowardly,” adding, “Pakistan reiterates its condemnation of terrorism in all its forms and manifestations.”

Pakistan’s Prime Minister Muhammad Nawaz Sharif and President Mamnoon Hussain also denounced the bomb blast.

Sharif, in a massage conveyed to Saudi King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, said terrorists are enemies of humanity, who also bring a bad name to Islam.

Meanwhile, Emirati Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Anwar Mohammed Gargash also condemned the terrorist attack against the Shia mosque in Saudi Arabia, underlining that Abu Dhabi rejects terrorism in all its forms.

Gargash emphasized the need for concerted international efforts at all levels to confront terrorism, saying the attack shows its perpetrators have no respect whatsoever for human beings and the sanctity of places of worship.

In a similar statement, Bahrain also condemned the bombing.

Additionally, White House spokesman Josh Earnest slammed the deadly bombing on the Shia mosque and said, “We mourn the loss of life and condemn this violence.”

Earlier on Friday, Iran, the United Nations and the Lebanese resistance movement, Hezbollah, condemned the bomb blast.

Hezbollah held the Saudi regime “fully responsible” for the deadly incident.

“Hezbollah holds the Saudi authorities fully responsible for this ugly crime, for its embrace and sponsorship for these criminal murderers to carry out similar crimes in other Arab and Muslim countries,” a statement issued by the resistance group read.

At least 30 people lost their lives and 97 others sustained injuries on Friday, when an explosion ripped through Imam Ali Mosque in the village of al-Qadeeh, located in Saudi Arabia’s Qatif district and more than 420 kilometers (260 miles) east of the capital, Riyadh.

A bomber reportedly blew himself up in the mosque as more than 150 people had gathered for Friday prayers.

Later in the day, the ISIL terrorist group claimed responsibility for the attack. The Al Saud dynasty has been among the staunch supporters of Takfiri terrorists operating in Syria over the past years.


Tehreek e Ehtesaab


Top of the Hour