ISLAMABAD: Defense Minister Khawaja Asif on Wednesday strongly condemned the US drone strike in Noshki and termed it an ‘attack’ on Pakistan’s sovereignty.
Asif said the attack jeopardized the efforts for peace in and stability in Afghanistan, urging all stakeholders for making sincere efforts in this regard.
He added Pakistan is still determined to facilitate Afghan peace process provided all the parties to the conflict demonstrate seriousness in reconciliation.
The minister, however, maintained that the strike that purportedly killed Taliban supremo Mullah Akhtar Mansour in Noshki was an attack on Pakistan’s sovereignty.
Earlier today, Army Chief General Raheel Sharif conveyed serious concerns to United States ambassador over drone strike in Balochistan that allegedly killed Taliban leader Mullah Akhtar Mansour, calling them against Pakistan’s integrity and sovereignty.
In a meeting, he told US Ambassador David Hales such strikes are detrimental to Pak-US relations.
“While expressing his serious concerns over the said drone strike, COAS said such acts of sovereignty violations are detrimental to relations between both countries and are counter-productive for ongoing peace process for regional stability,” read an ISPR statement.
The air strike on Saturday, May 21, that allegedly killed Mansour was perhaps the most high-profile US incursion into Pakistan since the 2011 raid to kill al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden and sparked a protest by Islamabad that its sovereignty had been violated.