ISLAMABAD: In its official response to the Interior Ministry on Monday, the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) said that the federal government is authorised to remove names of people from the Exit Control List, said sources.
The details of the NAB’s response emerged amid the ongoing dilemma about taking former prime minister Nawaz Sharif’s name off the ECL. The ailing ex-premier was expected to leave the country on Sunday, but his departure was delayed because his name could not be taken off the ECL.
There is neither a clear objection nor an approval for removing the name of the former prime minister off the ECL, said the anti-graft body in its response.
The interior ministry had also sent Nawaz Sharif’s medical reports to the NAB, although now the ball is in the ministry’s court again, added the sources.
The Interior Ministry decided to send the matter to the federal cabinet, however according to the rules, the issue should have been sent to a sub-committee first.
It is also the prerogative of the cabinet to pick up the matter before a sub-committee.
Following the development, the federal cabinet will hold a session on Tuesday to finally decide on the issue of removing Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) supremo’s name from the ECL.
On the other hand, Punjab Governor Chaudhry Muhammad Sarwar on Monday said that PML-N leader Nawaz Sharif would be removed from the list.
“Everybody is worried about Mian Nawaz Sharif’s health but the issue should not be politicised,” the governor said during a chat with media personnel at Alhamra Hall in Lahore.
The government had constituted a medical board since it was not willing to to take any risks on Sharif’s health, said Sarwar. The former prime minister would be free to go anywhere for treatment, he added.
The former prime minister was granted bail by the Islamabad High Court on humanitarian grounds days after he was hospitalised in critical condition last month.