ISLAMABAD: Shehbaz Sharif can be held in contempt of court if former Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif does not return to the country, Law Minister Farogh Naseem said on Tuesday.
Addressing a press conference with Prime Minister’s Special Assistant on Information and Broadcasting, Firdous Aashiq Awan here at the federal capital, the law minister said that Nawaz’s sentence had been suspended but it was still in place.
He said, “They didn’t accept the indemnity bond but they did acknowledge the undertaking.”
In response to a question, Naseem said that the Lahore High Court had issued an interim order relating to the removal of Nawaz’s name from the ECL.
The law minister added, “the apex court rejects appeals that are made against interim orders.”
Farogh said that Shehbaz could be held in contempt of court if Nawaz did not return to the country as he had promised in the undertaking that had been given in court.
Last week the Lahore High Court directed the government to remove Nawaz Sharif’s name from the Exit Control List (ECL) without any conditions for a time period of four weeks.