KARACHI: As the federal government on Friday filed a review petition before the Supreme Court against the ongoing anti-encroachment drive in Karachi, Mayor Waseem Akhtar who also hails from Muttahida Qaumi Movement (Pakistan) held a press conference to record protest against plans to demolish illegal houses during an anti-encroachment drive being run under his supervision in Karachi.
The mayor defended the removal of encroachments from markets and roads but opposed the idea of razing illegal houses. “I will resign if a single house is touched or razed,” Akhtar told the news conference.
He said that the markets being set up by the Karachi Metropolitan Corporation (KMC) were also razed during the ongoing operation.
He announced that in the first phase, the KMC will arrange 1,000 shops for affectees of the drive as an alternative, adding that the KMC was supporting the affected people.
He said the corporation had received court orders to remove encroachments from parks, footpaths.
Earlier in the day, Governor Sindh Imran Ismael’s spokesperson said that the decision to file a review petition had been taken at a recent meeting between the governor and Prime Minister Imran Khan.
According to the spokesperson, the governor had apprised the prime minister about the concerns and reservations of the affected people.