Rao Anwar was not present at crime scene of Naqeebullah Mehsud’s murder: counsel tells ATC

KARACHI: An anti-terrorism court in Karachi on Wednesday resumed hearing of  the bail plea of former SSP Malir Rao Anwar in the Naqeebullah murder case.


Anwar, 11 of his subordinates and 14 absconders are accused of abducting the Waziristan native shopkeeper and aspiring model Naqeebullah for ransom and later killing him, along with three other detainees, in a staged encounter in Karachi’s Malir area on January 13.

Anwar along with the other accused appeared before the court for the hearing today.

During the hearing, Anwar’s counsel Advocate Amir Mansoob Qureshi argued, “My client was not present at the crime scene.”

The absconder Rao Anwar surrendered himself before the Supreme Court of Pakistan, as the Chief Justice Mian Saqib Nisar constituted a Joint Investigation Team (JIT)comprising of Inter Service Intelligence, Military Intelligence and IB officials, later ordered the arrest of Rao Anwar accused of killing Naqeebullah Mehsud a FATA decent living in Karachi on terrorism charges along with his encounter team in January this year.

Following that murder, a social media outcry emerged against the encounter, demanding the Supreme Court to take a suo moto notice, pleading the court that Naqeebullah was innocent.

Furthermore, the charge of terrorism against Naqeebullah Mehsud proved out to be concocted and un true by the Sindh Police led inquiry  committee probing this high profile case.

Rao Anwar was then escaping from the Law Enforcement Agencies, reprimanded by the Supreme Court, served contempt notice after failing to appear before the apex court after many summons.

Mehsud, a 27-year-old hailing from South Waziristan, was gunned down on January 13 in Shah Latif Town by alleged ‘encounter’ with a police team headed by Rao Anwar, however; preliminary probe suggest that Mehsud was killed in cold blood and had no terror links.


Junior - Taleem Aam Karaingay - Juniors ko Parhaingay