Six killed as blasts, gunfire rock Afghan city: officials

JALALABAD: At least six civilians were killed when militants detonated bombs and stormed a government building Sunday in an ongoing assault in the eastern Afghan city of Jalalabad, officials said.

Advertisement

There were two explosions near the city’s directorate of finance, the Nangarhar provincial governor´s spokesman Attaullah Khogyani told AFP, adding that “a number of attackers” had entered the building.

“Security forces are in the area chasing and fighting them,” he said. “So far six civilians (have been) killed and 33 wounded. One attacker is also down. The clearing operation is ongoing.”

Earlier, health department officials in the city said hospitals had received at least four dead bodies and 20 wounded people. There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack.

 

Their Operation Al Khandaq will target US forces and “their intelligence agents” as well as their “internal supporters”, a Taliban statement said on April 25.

But the Daesh group has also stepped up their attacks in recent months, particularly in Kabul.

Nine journalists, including AFP´s chief photographer in Kabul Shah Marai, were among the 25 people killed in a double suicide blast claimed by Daesh in the capital on April 30.

AFP

Advertisement