Tears, cheers as London’s Borough Market re-opens after attack

WITH emotions running high and stalls bursting with produce, London’s 1,000-year-old Borough Market re-opened on Wednesday for the first time since a deadly attack by Islamist extremists killed eight people.

Advertisement

Traders gathered for a minute’s silence in honour of the victims of the June 3 attack, before fruit-and-veg stallholder Paul Wheeler rang the market bell, crying as he tugged the rope harder and harder. “I was only supposed to ring it once, but once I started I couldn’t stop. I just wanted to get the market back open,” he said moments later, still visibly emotional. “It’s been really hard. Business-wise, we suffered, but emotionally, all of us here have been struggling with it. I’m just glad we’re back open,” he said.

Donald Hyslop, chairman of the market’s board of trustees, was cheered loudly as he declared trade had resumed. London Mayor Sadiq Khan was in the crowd as he spoke. “Strong and together, London is open. Borough Market is open,” Hyslop said.

A warren of alleyways and streets nestled under a railway bridge and by the side of the medieval Southwark Cathedral, Borough Market is a foodie’s paradise, with stalls selling a variety of specialties from around Britain and the world. It is also a vibrant spot for socialising, with the surrounding streets full of pubs, bars, cafes and restaurants that were packed with people enjoying a balmy Saturday night out when the three attackers struck. They drove a van into pedestrians on nearby London Bridge, killing three. They then ran into the maze of bustling streets, killing five people and injuring dozens by stabbing them and slashing their throats. The rampage ended when the three attackers were shot dead at the

scene by police. The market had remained shut since then, with forensic investigators at work and police standing guard.

Reuters

Advertisement